Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wednesday

I doused myself with alcohol this morning. Not on purpose, mind, but I don't have a corkscrew so I had to dig the cork out with a knife. Just an FYI, doesn't work so well. Why, you ask, was I opening wine in the AM? For dinner, which I had mostly assembled last night, but I forgot to put in the wine. Slow Beans Bourgingnon. Fortunately, after putting the insert into the crockpot, I re-read the recipe and realized I'd missed it. However, I smell like Merlot, it sprayed all over my face (my glasses protected my eyes, I just couldn't see) and my shirt.

We made a tent on the back porch using sheets and did some school under there. Natalia enjoyed boucing in her bouncy seat and staring at the cloth ceiling inches from her face, while Leilani was upset the sun could still get through and circled all the short Uu's she came across in her phonics. My bum was crying for more cushioning the whole time. I was actually relieved when Natalia got fussy and wanted to eat. I could take us both inside and sit on the nice, soft bed.

Did you know it's nearly impossible to eat spaghetti while holding a wiggling baby and NOT get messy? So in addition to the merlot, I have marinara sauce splashed down my front. We watched 321 Penguins while eating lunch, then followed that up by finishing school. The curriculum we're using has a bible subject, but after starting to read today's lesson, I just couldn't finish it. I mean, child sacrifice is a pretty heavy subject, one I think is way too heavy for a 5 year old! So suffice it to say, we skipped that lesson. Science was much better, we're learning about senses, today was the skin/touch. Leilani squeezed her eyes shut and I placed different objects into her hands. She proceeded to tell me how they felt "like metal" "cold" "like Natalia's nail clippers" (yeah, she peeked on that one).

After a long stretch of quiet, I decided I probably ought to figure out what Leilani was up to. At first glance, it was innocent and sweet - coloring in her new coloring book (a first! I know! It could help that it's an Angry Birds coloring book). Second glance, however, showed me she had an incredibly, strangely, orange colored foot. So much for actually coloring in the book. It looks like her foot has eaten a ton of carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment