Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Birth Story

My beautiful new daughter was born on May 3rd, 2012 at 11:32 am. I woke up around 5:30am to contractions after barely sleeping all night due to hip pain. By six o'clock I started thinking "This just MIGHT be the day" so I started timing my contractions. Every time one hit, despite the fact that it hurt my hips, lower back and lower abdomen, I kept thinking "nah, that really didn't last a full minute. There was more than 6 minutes between this one and the last one. It really didnt hurt as badly as I'm thinking it did." I did decide to play it safe and turned the water heater all the way up. Walking, changing positions, curling up, nothing was making them ease up or stop, so at 6:50 I called my midwife, who asked if I thought she would have time to get her kids to school. I said yes, and she said she'd be at my house around nine.

After that, I went to wake my husband to let him know that today was the day and he probably shouldn't go to work *grins*. My daughter was awake by this time and running to find PawPaw. By this point I was having to keep moving because the contractions were becoming more intense. At about 8:10 I lost my mucus plug, but other than that things seemed to be staying about the same. The midwife arrived at around nine and brought the birthing pool with her. For what seemed like the next hour, the midwife, her assistant, my husband and dad played with the water temperature to get it to a perfect 98-100 degrees. They hooked a hose up to the hot water spigot and drained the hot water heater, then started boiling water on the stove, then filled the pool some more with coldwater and kept repeating the process until the tub was full and 100 degrees. By this point I was 8 cm and my contractions were coming right on top of each other. After I got in the tub, it wasn't that long before I felt the urge to push.

My 5yo jumped into the pool with me since she wanted to help catch her baby when she came out. She had fun for a while, playing in the water, until my contractions were so painful I told her she needed to be absolutely still. She got out for a while after that, but soon got back in. She really did fantastic, listening and obeying. My water broke at about 11:15/11:20, after I'd been pushing for a few minutes. Pretty soon after the water broke, her head was ready to immerge into the world. I had a nice rest between her head and the final push, which I milked for all it was worth *smiles*. At 11:32, I gave the final push and my 5yo and I reached down and brought the baby up to my chest. We cuddled in the pool for a few minutes, my two daughters and me, then we got out and went to the couch to deliver the placenta. My husband and daughter got to cut the umbilical cord together. After that, we cuddled, nursed and all got to know our newest little family member *smiles* I did tear a bit and got a few stitches, but it wasn't too big a deal :). My new little angel weighed 8 lbs 8 oz and was 22 1/2 inches long.

God has truly blessed us! We had a beautiful birth the whole family was involved in, beautiful family cuddles, and a gorgeous precious baby girl! God is truly amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment